Sunday, November 8, 2009

My walk to office (part 1 of 2)

My first Sony alarm clock went off followed by the second Sony alarm clock and finally the alarm in the Blackberry. I get up and quickly get ready for work.

I live 15 minutes walk from office – a deliberate choice in order to maximize the sleep time. Fortunately, I managed to get quite a decent pad by London standards for a person of my means – a modern, spacious high ceiling place with tall windows right across from a very busy market area, and surrounded by pubs and clubs. I find it bizarre that the landlord agreed to a 30 pound reduction in weekly asking price. Thanks to a tip by a senior from school I did that. The real estate market is hurting a lot. Good for tenants!

I have a set routine in the morning. I throw in milk, sugar and tea bags into water, and leave the mix to boil up in my kitchen. Thereafter, I reach out for my continuous steam iron – a new fangled device which forces massive amounts of steam at a high velocity through the fabric. This allows me to rapidly iron clothes – one pass is usually enough. Then I rush back to kitchen, grab my tea. Meanwhile I get my Roomba going – which for next few hours will roam around my apartment sucking up dirt and restoring the state of cleanliness which it had created the day before. Maybe in the evening when I return, I will switch on the Scooba which will go and wash the floors. Someday, maybe I will write a post about the tech museum my apartment is – I am a very early adopter of technology.

I get ready and head out.

In my hi-tech world, my building's elevators are a disappointment. Though they look quite shiny, but the ride is always bumpy and doors open and close with delay. As I quickly walk out of my door, I am dialing my family with my personal phone as I scan the blackberry for any urgent emails from my Bosses. Fortunately no part of the banking world is on fire, and I can afford a leisurely walk to the office. Thank goodness! I say hello to the porter in the lobby. Porter is quite a misnomer. Proper word is sitter. They don't move anything from any point A to any point B. They just sit in one place. However, they are a bunch of very pleasant people who never fail to greet politely and smile. God bless!

It is November in London and it is getting depressing. Sun gets up late, and goes to sleep early. At 4PM!! In the name of devil – hang on for a few more hours dude! What's the point of me having tall windows? Anyways, the Sun is up, and I soak in its warmth as I take easy steps along a well trodden path. Maybe it will be a good day! But then, I am a die-hard perpetual optimist!

0 comments:

Post a Comment